EMLF 38th Annual Institute Highlights – Williamsburg, VA
• New President
Erin E. Magee, Member of the firm of Jackson Kelly PLLC in Charleston, WV, is the new President of the Energy & Mineral Law Foundation, taking office following elections at the Board of Trustees annual meeting on May 21, 2017 in Williamsburg, VA.
Erin has served as Treasurer and Chair of the Finance Committee, and as a Member of the EMLF Board of Trustees, Executive Committee and Strategic Planning Committee. Erin is a graduate of the College of William and Mary, Williamsburg, VA, and received her J.D. from the College of William and Mary, Marshall Wythe School of Law.
• McClaugherty Award
Sharon O. Flanery, Member in the Charleston, WV office of Steptoe & Johnson PLLC, was recognized with the annual John L. McClaugherty Award, honoring an EMLF member who exemplifies a continuing involvement and commitment to the EMLF, the legal profession, and the natural resources industry.
Sharon is a past president of the EMLF, served on the Executive Committee and Board of Trustees, and most recently co-chaired the IEL/EMLF 2015 and 2016 Law of Shale Plays programs in Pittsburgh. With a cum laude degree in petroleum engineering from West Virginia University, Sharon worked for Aramco in Saudi Arabia before attending law school at Duquesne University. She currently serves as chair of the firm’s Energy & Natural Resources Department.
Past recipients of the McClaugherty Award are R. Neal Pierce, Thomas C. Means, J. Thomas Lane, Russell L. Schetroma, Joseph J. Zaluski, Edward M. Green, Sharon J. Daniels, David G. Ries, Timothy W. Gresham, Maureen D. Carman, C. David Morrison, Sean Cassidy, Robert G. McLusky, and Karen J. Greenwell.
• New Board
The Board of Trustees elected the following officers, Executive Committee members, and first-term Trustees at Large:
- VP-President Elect: Natalie N. Jefferis, EQT Production Co., Pittsburgh, PA
- Treasurer: Timothy J. Hagerty, Frost Brown Todd LLC, Louisville, KY
- Secretary: Kevin L. Colosimo, Frost Brown Todd LLC, Pittsburgh, PA
- Assistant Treasurer/Assistant Secretary: Sheila Nolan Gartland, Vorys, Sater, Seymour & Pease, Columbus, OH
- At-Large Member: Frank B. Harrington, Contura Energy Services, LLC, Bristol, TN
- At-Large Member: Amber Nisbet Hodgdon, EnerVest Operating, LLC, Charleston, WV
- At-Large Member: Kurt L. Krieger, Steptoe & Johnson PLLC, Charleston, WV
- At-Large Member: R. Clay Larkin, Dinsmore & Shohl LLP, Lexington, KY
- At-Large Member: James M. VanNostrand, WVU Center for Energy & Sustainable Development, Morgantown, WV
- At-Large Member: Eric R. Waller, General Counsel, Armstrong Energy, Inc., St. Louis, MO
New Trustees at Large – First-Term Nominees:
- Renee V. Anderson, Sean Cassidy and Associates, Greensburg, PA
- Guy W. Hensley, Senior Corporate Counsel, Warrior Met Coal, LLC, Brookwood, AL
- Jacqueline B. Ponder, General Counsel, Solar Sources, Inc., Indianapolis, IN
- Ryan T. Purpura, McGuireWoods LLP, Pittsburgh, PA
- Tyson D. Schwerdtfeger, Corporate Counsel, Alliance Coal, LLC, Tulsa, OK
• Russell L. Schetroma Law Student Travel Scholarship Recipients
Russ Schetroma generously created a trust to provide travel and lodging expenses for law students wishing to attend the EMLF Annual Institutes. Mark Holland, Associate Director of the Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation, contributed $500 to cover the registration fees for these students:
- Brandon T. Hamilton, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY
- Daniel Kirsey, Washburn University School of Law, Topeka, KS
- Nathan Wagner, West Virginia University College of Law, Morgantown, WV
- Erik D. Young, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY
• Scholarship Recipients
EMLF Law Student Scholarship Awards, ranging from $1000 to $7000, were announced at the Annual Institute:
- John W. Beamer, Appalachian School of Law, Grundy, VA
- Alex B. Clay, University of Kentucky College of Law, Lexington, KY
- Taylor Courtade, Southern Methodist University, Dedman School of Law, Dallas, TX
- Emilee N. Crowther, University of Oklahoma College of Law, Norman, OK
- Cassandra K. Forbes, West Virginia University College of Law, Morgantown,WV
- Richard E. Gardner, University of Houston Law Center, Houston, TX
- Clayton T. Harkins, West Virginia University College of Law, Morgantown, WV
- Daniel J. Kirksey, Washburn University School of Law, Topeka, KS
- Joseph K. O’Connell, Southern Methodist University, Dedman School of Law, Dallas, TX
- Francis M. Schneider, Washburn University School of Law, Topeka, KS
- Kimberly Paige Smith, Appalachian School of Law, Grundy, VA
Many thanks to the scholarship selection committee: Melanie Kilpatrick, Chair, Rajkovich Williams Kilpatrick & True, Lexington, KY; Professor Mark L. “Buzz” Belleville, Appalachian School of Law, Grundy, VA; Richard C. Emens, Emens & Wolper, Columbus, OH; J. Thomas Lane, Bowles Rice LLP, Charleston, WV; Professor David E. Pierce, Washburn University School of Law, Topeka, KS; Joseph K. Reinhart, Babst Calland, Pittsburgh, PA; Professor Ernest E. Smith, The University of Texas at Austin, Austin, TX
• Thanks to the Sponsors
The members of the Energy & Mineral Law Foundation greatly appreciate the many patrons who supported the Annual Institute and enabled the EMLF to provide social and networking opportunities while in Colonial Williamsburg.